Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Break's almost over and orientation has begun

After spending last week working hard not to be useless, spending this week helping out with orientation is helping me ease back into school mode. I'm a mentor for the MBA program, meaning I've been appointed to help answer the questions of new students and assist with their orientation. The idea behind this program is that as a mentor we can better relate to the situations new students are coming from and we can answer their questions honestly.

Working orientation has been a real good time this week. Not only has it been a good time meeting all the new students, but it has also stimulated some walks down memory lane with my classmates (these stories are too long or inappropriate to be discussed in detail).

The first day of orientation is mostly the typical boring house cleaning duties, but then that night the new students have an overnight retreat at a local camp which allows them to get to know eachother. Tuesday morning is what I would consider to be the most fun of the days of orientation where the new students play leadership/strategy/icebreaker games. I was so fortunate to be scheduled outside on the basketball court :)!

Today the new class spent the day working on a business case and preparing a presentation for tomorrow. As a mentor I was off today (which left me plenty of time to work all day, boo!). Tomorrow the students will present their case solutions and get a little taste of some friendly MBA competition.

Friday the mentors will also have the day off as the new class has a retail immersion day. This is a cool day and includes touring some great retailers and even a Walmart distribution center, which is very impressive.

This weekend I am going to visit my best friend so I can catch up with her and see her new house. I'm so excited because it will be a great way soak up the last weekend with no looming homework :)

No comments: